Counting the years

As soon as I saw the star calendar in the museum, I knew I wanted to digitise it; especially after finding out that there did not seem to exist such a digital copy of it anywhere (or none that was similar to what I had in mind). I therefore decided to work on creating this copy and thought it would be a very easy process. Unfortunately, however, it turned out to be more difficult than I had first anticipated. The main difficulty was in actually finding out what each of the calendar's parts meant, since I did not want to create a copy of something that I had no understanding of whatsoever; it seems, however, that there is a great lack of information on star calendars — or at least a lack of in-depth information. I therefore had to scrape every bit of information I could — Unfortunately my local university does not stock any books on the topic either — and try to understand the calendar using that and that, surprisingly, worked.

The next problem arose when I actually tried reading the calendar. The majority of the glyphs thereon are easily identifiable; however, a not unsignificant number of them I found nearly impossible to decipher without help, and there still are a few readings I am unsure of. Nonetheless, I tried my luck at searching the internet for help and found it in the form of McMaster university's website (https://aea.physics.mcmaster.ca/index.php/en/). They have a fantastic overview of all the decan stars that exist, which I used to guide me in the reading of the glyphs on PM5999.

Legal stuff:
Impressum, Privacy Policy